This is a question I get asked all of the time, and I’m finally sharing the 3 ways to take the best pictures for your blog.
- It’s really important to get an SLR camera, which you can get for a few hundred and ranging to the thousand-dollar range.
- If looking for a camera on the budget, try eBay or craigslist.
- EXAMPLE: I use the Canon t3i, which is no longer available but may find on eBay. It’s around $400 depending on where you look. (The t5i is the oldest model available.)
- Canon cameras are really easy to learn and navigate.
- If you’re a starter, go with the Canon Rebel series.
- Natural lighting is best.
- EXAMPLE: If taking outfit photos in natural light, utilize it when it’s softest and warmest. Take closest to sunrise or sunset. I take my photos close to 6-6:30.
- For artificial lighting, you want to start out with umbrella lights.
- You can also use a ring light if shooting beauty or style focused video.
- Learn 3 point lighting with artificial lighting. Will help to maximize, to where you won’t look washed out.
- Always use an editing system when editing photos for your blog.
- For example: I use Adobe Creative, which you can get for $19.99 month.
- I tend to increase my saturation and brightness when editing my photos.
- You can use Canva online to edit your photos as well.
- Learn the rule of thirds to get the understanding of composition.
- Be fully aware of what your aesthetic is.
The Mattieologie podcast (formerly #AskMattie) is posted Monday thru Friday. If you have a question for me on style, life or blogging, send your name, URL & city + your question to [email protected]. Listen below or subscribe on iTunes.
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/218145407" params="color=ff5500&inverse=false&auto_play=false&show_user=true" width="100%" height="20" iframe="true" /]