So many times you see people copying others creative work, and it really gets under my skin. There is such a thin line when “copying” something because everything is inspired from something. Here is a handful of things you can do to handle this situation if you don’t want it to be an issue anymore.
- As your social media following grows, it can be hard to keep tabs. But it’s still so important to do such.
- It’s usually someone who loyally follows you that copies you.
- Keep up with who retweets or favorites.
GOOGLE YOURSELF AND YOUR IMAGES
- Take the time to Google your most popular image and see if anyone else is using it.
- Make sure they are giving you credit, and not promoting the image as their own.
- It’s one of the easiest ways to ensure no one is stealing your work
BE CLEAR ON WHAT CREATIVE CLIMATE IS
- Just because you talked to someone about your blog and they then create their own, that doesn’t mean they are copying you.
- There is a difference between copying and inspiring.
- EXAMPLE: I follow Pat Flynn and Myleik’s podcasts. They inspired me to share my story via a podcast, but that doesn’t mean I’m copying them.
- Be sure that you’re inspiration doesn’t turn into imitation, because you’re putting your own creative touch on what it is you’re doing.
GET A SECOND PAIR OF EYES
- Get someone, who’s not necessarily in the same industry, and ask them if it’s possible another person/company is copying you.
ADD DISCLAIMER ON SITE
- I have no problem with you using the work on my site, as long as the proper credit is given.
- Don’t retaliate. Get legal counsel.
- Have your attorney handle the issue. Yes, this is the time to get a lawyer.
KEEP CREATING, KNOW THE RISK
- When you’re good at something, people will copy you.
As you’ve noticed, I post a new #AskMattie everyday, Monday thru Friday. If you have a question for me on style, life or blogging, send your name, URL & city + your question to [email protected]. Listen below.
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/214034311" params="color=ff5500&inverse=false&auto_play=false&show_user=true" width="100%" height="20" iframe="true" /]