While no one in particular asked me this question, it’s something that I feel is important for all bloggers. This topic is a major reason why people go out of business or why no one is reading their blog. Today I’m going to break down the 4 things you need to be aware of in reference to your audience.
WHAT DO THEY WANT TO KNOW
- Your audience is exactly who you were 2-3 years ago. So, what did you want to know back then?
- Once you figure this out, you will figure out what your audience wants to know.
- EXAMPLE: Go back and look at your old blog posts. Figure out who you were and what you were struggling with. That will be vital in helping you know what you audience wants now.
WHAT DO THEY WANT TO HEAR
- You’ll figure out what your audience wants to hear based on how they respond to you.
- Make sure that you’re paying attention to exactly how your audience is speaking to you.
- EXAMPLE: Look at your @ replies on twitter. You’ll get the response that you communicated, and that’s how you can build a relationship with your audience.
WHAT DO THEY WANT TO SEE
- What kind of pictures/colors does your audience respond to?
- EXAMPLE: I like to think about who my audience is, and what magazine they are reading. Depending on what mags they respond to, you should create a similar aesthetic.
- Consider things like fonts.
WHAT DO THEY WANT TO FEEL
- It’s important to make sure that we’re acknowledging how our reader feels about our content.
- If people feel good about what you’ve created, they’re more likely to visit again AND tell someone else.
- EXAMPLE: If you’re a style blogger, are you showing outfits or giving advice that makes a person feel beautiful?
- Make sure you’re encouraging, enthusiastic, and exciting.
The Mattieologie podcast (formerly #AskMattie) is posted Monday thru Friday. If you have a question for me on style, life or blogging, send your name, URL & city + your question to [email protected]. Listen below or subscribe on iTunes.